Bruxism, also commonly known as teeth grinding, is a condition when someone grinds their teeth. Most people grind their teeth due to stress, although sometimes there are other reasons. People who grind their teeth don’t know that they are doing it until the symptoms become noticeable. They may have their partners or other family members tell them about it.
Symptoms of Bruxism
There are many symptoms of Bruxism and the most common include:
- Jaw area is sore in the morning when you wake up
- Teeth don’t always meet together and your bite may have changed
- Frequent headaches and/or neck aches
- It’s hard to bite down on anything
- Pain when you try to yawn, open your mouth, chew or bite
- Teeth are sensitive to the touch
- Teeth are lose or show signs of wear (worn, cracked, damaged)
The best treatment for bruxism is a tooth guard. It looks just like a sports guard for your mouth. You wear it at night before you go to sleep, or during especially stressful times. It is custom fitted to your mouth. It prevents your teeth from grinding together. Your dentist can supply you with a guard once you are diagnosed with bruxism.
If you believe that you are experiencing bruxism, the dentists at Geelong Dentist Clinic are experts in the treatment of teeth grinding and can offer advice and treatment options. Please call us today on 1300 657 033 or book an appointment online.