Many Geelong patients are discovering the benefits of dental veneers. Unlike a dental crown which covers the entire tooth, dental veneer is a thin covering that is placed over the front (visible) part of the tooth.
Dental veneers offer a number of potential benefits:
- They usually are placed on the upper front teeth when they are severely discoloured, slightly crooked or poorly shaped.
- Veneers can be used to lighten front teeth that are naturally yellow or have a grey cast that cannot be whitened with traditional bleaching.
- Veneers are sometimes used for teeth that are chipped or worn.
- Veneers also may be used to correct uneven spaces or for diastema, the large noticeable gap between upper front teeth.
Preparations for veneers include a three-dimensional analysis of how the final restoration will be place in relation to the patient’s face, mouth, lips and entire gingiva. This is then finalized by a “smile design”, which includes the patient’s inputs and requirements.
There are two basic types of dental veneers:
- Resin-Based Composite Veneers – These usually can be applied during a single appointment. Once a tooth is prepared or reshaped, the Bondigo Dentist Clinic dentist carefully bonds and sculpts the composite material in a colour the other adjacent teeth. A special light is then used to harden the composite. The veneer is then smoothed and polished to look like the natural tooth.
- Ceramic Veneers – These are extremely thin shells that are made out of a strong and durable form of ceramic. A small amount of enamel is removed from the front and sides of the tooth to make room for the veneer. This keeps the restored tooth from feeling or appearing bulky or unnatural.
- The Geelong Dentist Clinic dentist then makes an impression of the prepared tooth and the surround teeth. This, along with the specific colour and shade, is then sent off to a dental laboratory where a dental technician will make the veneer to fit your individual teeth.
- During your next appointment, your dentist will then adhere the veneer to the teeth, checking the fit and shape. After any adjustments, the teeth are cleaned and the ceramic veneers are permanently bonded using dental cement. Additional adjustments can be made during future appointments.
HOW TO CHOOSE A DENTAL VENEER
Before a dental veneer can be applied, teeth must be healthy and free of decay and active periodontal disease. Veneers usually don’t require as much removal of tooth enamel as crowns.
If you clench or grind your teeth, you may not be a good candidate for veneers because this can cause the thin veneers to peel, break or chip. You also should avoid biting your fingernails, chewing on hard objects such as ice or pencils, and using your teeth to open packaging. Like dental restoration, veneers may be dislodged over time and with wear. If this happens, new veneers may need to be applied.
Veneers require no special maintenance other than good oral hygiene performed daily. Brush your teeth twice per day using fluoride toothpaste, floss daily and use mouthwash regularly.
To make an appointment with the Geelong Dental Clinic to discuss dental veneers call us today on 1300 657 033 or you can make an appointment online and we will call you back.